Different Pokémon have varied levels of rarity, with some being very easy to find and some being locked behind events or holidays. No matter what critters someone may be hunting (or driving many miles) for, they can be found with a little planning.
Most Rare Pokémon Go Pokémon
There are so many Pokémon out in the semi-real augmented reality world of Pokémon Go. Some can be found anywhere in the world by just about anyone at any time. Here are the hardest ones to come by.
Special Circumstances Only
These Pokémon can only be found using special means. It could be in raids (which have a lot of exclusive options for capturing highly sought-after Pokémon) or in specific regions. There are even Pokémon that can only be gained through item evolutions and egg hatching.
- These Pokémon can mostly be found in raids, but there are some Lunch Hour events and Field Research prizes that can also yield these fighting friends.
- Generation 1: Articuno, Moltres, Zapdos, Mewtwo,
- Generation 2: Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh
- Generation 3: Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Latias, Latios, Deoxys
- Generation 4: Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Heatran, Giratina, Cresselia, Darkrai
- Generation 5: Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Tornadus, Thundurus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Landorus, Genesect
- Cleffa, Elekid, Igglybuff, Magby, Pichu, Smoochum, Togepi, Tyrogue
Special Item Evolution
- Bellossom, Kingdra, Politoed, Porygon2, Scizor, Slowking, Steelix, Sunflora
- Farfetch’d, Kangaskhan, Mr. Mime, Tauros, Corsola, Heracross
Related: How to get Sun Stones in Pokemon Go
Rare & Very Rare
These Pokémon are pretty hard to find in the wild. You may notice one or two on this list are very common in your area, but this is likely because you live in a hotspot that they are attracted to. For example, if you live right beside a lake, you will likely have an abnormal Squirtle spawn rate.
- Dratini, Growlithe, Geodude, Onix, Ponyta, Vulpix, Koffing, Sandshrew, Magmar, Abra, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pikachu, Electrabuzz, Machop, Grimer, Rhyhorn, Voltorb, Lickitung, Scyther, Pinsir, Tangela, Omanyte, Kabuto, Girafarig, Stantler, Lapras, Snorlax, Porygon, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Chansey, Aerodactyl
- Slugma, Mantine, Sudowoodo, Pineco, Gilgar, Shuckle, Phanpy, Skarmory, Qwilfish, Yanma, Chikorita, Cyndaquill, Totodile, Misdreavus, Houndor, Larvitar, Miltank, Mareep, Togetic, Hitmontop, Unown
Want to read more about Pokémon Go? Check out Best Ground Type Pokémon in Pokémon Go on Pro Game Guides.