Unlocking a skill in Forager is quite easy. Every time you level up, you can unlock one skill. The problem is that there are 64 skills total, and you need progressively more and more EXP to earn each new skill.
You can get EXP through doing just about anything. Breaking a rock, harvesting cotton, killing a slime, cutting a tree – heck, you can even get EXP from drinking potions or building furnaces with the right skills. But even with all these ways of gaining EXP, it can sometimes be a struggle to get that next level-up.
This grind for levels can be eased somewhat by the fact that not all skills were created equal. Many skills are inherently more useful than others and can even increase your EXP gain. By optimizing the path you take through your skills, you can get all of your skills much faster than just picking them at random.
Related: How to make Leather in Forager – Pro Game Guides
Skill Tree Path
This is a path that was made for making the early game go faster and smoother. Of course, you can unlock every skill by playing the game normally, but this path is fast for leveling up and user-friendly for players of any skill level.
- Economy – Lets you unlock more land early for more resources farming.
- Geology – This is why we take Foraging through Mining (besides the fact that they’re all decently useful). Coal can be a huge roadblock throughout most of the game, so gaining such an abundant source of it early on is beautiful.
- Magic or Vaults – If you need storage ASAP, vaults. Otherwise, Magic for extra EXP.
- Magic or Vaults
- Industry – We’re reaching the cusp of when leveling up takes a lot longer, so this is a must right now. This skill lets us get glass bottles for bug catching for better pickaxes. And the extra bit of EXP from structures is nice, too.
- Sewing – This lets us start making leather, which we’ll need for:
- Trade – Markets offer a wide variety of resources, some of which are a huge hassle to find/make otherwise. It also lets us make some actual coinage by selling items.
- Supply – Between this one and Bargain, the Market becomes a lot more useful.
- Jewelry – Increased resources from making necklaces. What’s not to like? Also, gems selling for more is very nice.
- Prospecting – More gems for selling or for crafting. Pairs excelently with Jewelry.
After Prospecting, the path really opens up. Personally, I would recommend picking up Capitalism soon as the EXP you can get from selling a hefty stack of gems is ridiculous. Going from Gambling into Optics soon would also be good, as lighthouses can be insanely useful. Oh, and Alchemy for bomb crafting. A few bombs here and there can make clearing out some overflooded islands nice and easy.
Even if you don’t follow this path to a T, it doesn’t really matter. Every skill is still at least somewhat useful, so feel free to pick up everything that seems cool or useful. No matter what, you’ll get every skill in the end, so just go for it!
For more tips for playing Forager, go check out our other Forager guides!