The best way to combat a Fanghorn, as with most machines, is to target their vulnerable of powerful body parts. Fanghorn have a primary mode of attack, and that is their Antlers. If these are taken out, players can disable all charge attacks and save themselves a lot of HP in battle. Players can also target the Fanghorn’s Resource Containers. This will stop elemental attacks from being produced.
Strengths and Weaknesses
Players can attack machines with different kinds of elemental attacks. Elemental attacks in the game include Fire, Shock, Frost, Plasma, Purgewater, and Acid. Fanghorns will be weak to damage from Frost attacks. They will also be strong against damage from Fire attacks.
Related: How to defeat Tideripper in Horizon Forbidden West?
There are a few different body parts on a Fanghorn, and each one will drop different loot and deal different amounts of damage to the machine when attacked by players. The body parts on a Fanghorn are:
- Blaze Canister
- Purgewater Canister
- Resource Container
Machines in Horizon Forbidden West will drop different loot items, with many being specific to each kind of machine. Some can be looted from a fallen machine, while others will need to be removed (shot off with an arrow or removes with a hit from the spear) while the machine is still alive. The Fanghorn will drop a long list of loot items:
- Metal Shards (Common) – Dropped from Body
- Blaze (Common) – Dropped from Body
- Fanghorn Circulator* (Uncommon) – Dropped from Body
- Machine Muscle (Uncommon) – Dropped from Body
- Fanghorn Primary Nerve* (Uncommon) – Dropped from Body and Resource Container
- Small Machine Core (Uncommon) – Dropped from Body and Resource Container
- Braided Wire (Common) – Dropped from Body and Resource Container
- Metal Bone (Rare) – Dropped from Body
- Sturdy Hardplate (Common) – Dropped from Body and Resource Container
- Fanghorn Antler* (Very Rare) – Dropped from Antlers
- Blaze (Common) – Dropped from Blaze Canister
- Purgewater (Uncommon) – Dropped from Purgewater Canister
- Blastpaste (Rare) – Dropped from Resource Container
*Loot items marked with an asterisk are exclusively dropped from the Fanghorn machine.
In Horizon Forbidden West, Cauldrons allow players to override the machines that are within that Cauldron once they have completed it. Completing a Cauldron usually means traversing through its dungeon-like corridors and facing off against a boss at the end. The Fanghorn is a part of the MU Overrides Cauldron.
Interested in other machine guides in Horizon Forbidden West? Check out How to defeat the Slitherfang in Horizon Forbidden West on Pro Game Guides!