Fortnite’s new Shockwave Grenade is the Epic version of the Impulse Grenade. Learn how to-use and how it works, where-to find, and some tips on how to use it with our guide!
The Shockwave Grenade is the followup to the Rift to Go item. Epic seems to be experimenting with a lot of different options when it comes to jumping around the map. While this isn’t reliable for long range travel, it can still be used for aggressive plays and to create havoc during intense situations.
What makes these different then your standard Impulse Grenade? Well, first they launch you or your enemies much further than the original. That seems obvious, but there’s two other things that makes these hugely unique. The first is that you or anyone hit with the grenade will not take fall damage. This is pretty much exactly the same as hitting a bouncer. Finally, if you are launched with one of these you will break through structures! This is huge for making aggressive plays or potentially getting high ground from someone.
How-to Use & How the Shockwave Grenade Works
Just like every grenade you use in the game, if you hold down the fire button with one of these equipped you’ll get a targeting system that will show you how far you can throw it. Throwing this down at the ground below you will launch you pretty much straight up, and moving a bit forward and timing a jump will launch you forward. If you are moved with one of these, you will take no damage from the distance you are launched. However, if you bump a piece of tree or slightly touch something and fall the immunity will be cancelled.
If you are launched and run into walls, floors, ramps, or roofs and even structures that are already on the map, you will break through them!
Where-to Find the Shockwave Grenade
You will find the Shockwave Grenade in Supply Drops, Vending Machines, Llamas, and chests. Note that you will not find them as floor loot, making these fairly rare.
They are Epic rarity, and they drop in stacks of 2. If you get lucky enough to find a bunch of these, you can hold up to 6 at a time.
Shockwave Grenade Tips
- One of the most interesting things you can do with these is break through to the high ground if you get built upon. This can be super surprising against people who expect to hold the high ground against you, so launch yourself upwards and breakthrough their structures.
- You can also do this in houses or other structures that are already built breakable structures. If you are in a house and hear someone on a roof, you can launch yourself through the ceiling and over the top of them for a surprise attack!
- These can also be used just like the typical Impulse Grenade. If you want to make an aggressive play towards a player, ramp up and throw one of these at the ground while running forward and jumping. These are much safer as you won’t take damage when you land!
- If you can catch an enemy holed up in an area with one of these, they will break through their structures and potentially be knocked into a bad spot. They won’t take fall damage, but you might be able to take advantage of them being pushed into an awkward scenario.
- You can use one of these to blast through a Supply Llama and it will triple the loot dropped in it. We aren’t sure if this is a bug or not, but take advantage of it while you can!